Answered By: Digital Library Services Team
Last Updated: Feb 03, 2017     Views: 165

If a film is only being shown to students as part of their core curriculum, it falls under an 'educational exemption' (5(2) Part 2 Schedule 1 of the Licencing Act 2003) and is fine, no further action is necessary. However, if showing a film for any other reason than that just mentioned, a copyright/screening licence must be obtained. 

Copyright/screening licences are available from the following companies:

This company has an online catalogue on which you can search for the documentary. If they do not list the documentary in the catalogue, they cannot provide the licence.

Motion Picture Licensing Corporation
You will need to phone/email them to see if they can license the documentary.

British Film Institution (BFI)
Park Circus

For older films
Hollywood Classics