Answered By: EndNote Team Last Updated: Dec 14, 2020 Views: 6662
If you are unable to connect Cite While You Write to EndNote Online. Please use the following steps to resolve this issue.
- Please try logging in through http://my.endnote.com and check whether your username and password are recognized. If it is recognized, with the EndNote online page opened try to insert references in your Word document.
- If the issue continues, please check the Cite While You Write Preferences in Word.
Word 2007/2010/2013: Click the Preferences button and select the Application tab.
Word 2003/2008/2011: Click the Tools menu > EndNote (or EndNote Web) > Cite While You Write Preferences and select the Application tab.
- Make sure the URL it is trying to access is http://www.myendnoteweb.com:80. Try to clear the username and password fields and re-enter it.
- If still the issue persists, open a new blank Word document and try to use EndNote online CWYW plug-in.
- If this issue only happens when working with a specific document, this may be caused by corrupted field codes in that document. Please use the instructions from the EndNote supplier's help website to clean up field codes in this document.
you should now be able to work with this cleaned up version of the document.
- If the issue persists with all documents, you would need to uninstall and reinstall the EndNote online plug-in (Please note, this is for non-university computers. Users of university computers may need assistance from IT Services). Please make sure your web browser eg Internet Explorer is closed during the installation of EndNote online plug-in.
Make sure that ALL browsers are definitely shut down before the plug-in is installed - it is so easy on a Mac to leave things open in the background and think they are shut.
Here are the official steps to uninstall:-
On a Mac computer:
1. Go to Applications > EndNote Web and double-click on the ENWeb_installer file
2. Select 'Un-install' and click Next
3. Drag the EndNote Web application folder to Trash when the uninstall completes
and the steps to install:-
To download and install the Cite While You WriteTM plug-in to use with Word:
- Make sure you are logged on to EndNote in a Web browser, and then click the Download Installers link at the bottom of any page.
- Click the Download Macintosh link to download the Cite While You Write installation disk image.
- Make sure no applications are running.
- Double-click the Cite While You Write.dmg file.
- Drag the EndNote Web folder to the Applications folder on your hard drive.
- Double-click on the Applications folder, then the EndNote online folder, and finally the ENWeb_installer file.
- Follow the instructions to complete the installation.